Friday, August 28, 2009

Already in a rutt...

I've officially completed my third week of medical school, and I already feel as though I'm getting in the groove of what a medical student should be doing. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I go to the gym for an hour workout after classes (which end at 5, mind you) and Tuesdays and Thursdays I hunker down in the library to get some hardcore studying in. This coming week marks a significant change in that schedule, mostly because our first set of exams are on Wednesday. I'm not nervous yet. Perhaps I'm not well enough informed to be nervous, I don't know. It's a bit strange to know that there are multiple cameras in the lecture hall with a team of instructors in another room watching us to make sure we're not cheating. I've only cheated once in my life, in Elementary school (I was always bad at geography), but nonetheless it's strange to think that someone will be constantly watching me. Anyways, the class is split in half. I happen to be in the half that begins the written examinations for Histology and Anatomy at 8 am. Apparently we are not allowed to wear any sort of clothing with pockets (I believe they mean the kind attached to a shirt, I'd be hard pressed to find a pair of jeans without pockets) or hoods. So my GVSU hoodies are definitely out of the mix, I've decided to wear scrubs and an old fashioned sweatshirt with NO pockets and NO hood. After a 20 minute recess (for lunch, changing, and assembly in the Anatomy lab) I have a 3 hour practical Anatomy exam. 100 questions, 50 rest stops, one minute at each station. We had a practice practical the other night and it was essentially what I expected. I do need to get a clipboard, but that's the only real surprise of the evening.
Other than the usual, there's nothing new in my life. I'm going to my cousin's wedding tomorrow. It's the side of the family that doesn't much care for me, but this particular cousin is one of my favorites and I feel compelled to at least go and say congratulations. I will most likely not stay long, I have a lot of studying to do and I feel so uncomfortable around people that dislike me that it's not much fun. (surprise) I wish Dan was here to go with me, he went to the wedding last year with me and made the entire situation a bit more bearable. Unfortunately, the trip from Miami, Florida is a bit long for two hours of discomfort.
I'm off to review my anatomy notes yet again. Tomorrow is Histology day, and Sunday is a recap of everything. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I'll be thinking of you and hoping all goes well at the wedding and with the exam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like they are making an already stressful situation even more so! I know you will do great.
    And - how could anyone not like you? Especially relatives. Must be the crazy side of the family! Good for you for going for your cousins side anyway!

    ReplyDelete